Latest articles: Potential pitfall: Metastatic spinal cord compression (MSCC) is a medical emergency which can result in paralysis. Many patients living with cancer have pain; within primary care it can difficult to differentiate between significant pain which may be...
Latest articles: Thursday 21st May 2020 Managing a patient’s fear of cancer recurrence and health anxiety can be difficult. After treatment, many patients want to have the reassurance that they are cured. Generally it is not possible for health care professionals to...
Updated resource: unpicking the COVID-19 extremely vulnerable category for people affected by cancer
Wednesday 15th April 2020
People with certain cancers and those who have received or are receiving certain treatments are at risk of severe illness if they catch coronavirus (COVID-19). One Cancer Voice charities (in partnership with NHS England) have confirmed this includes:
- Every patient undergoing active chemotherapy
- Patients who have received chemotherapy in the last three months (advise patients to contact their care team to discuss their specific circumstances. In the meantime, patients should follow the Public Health England guidance on ‘shielding’ – in summary, stay at home and avoid face-to-face contact for a period of 12 weeks)
- Patients with blood disorders who are immunocompromised but not receiving chemotherapy
- Patients having radiotherapy for metastatic lung tumours
- Patients with metastatic cancer in the lungs who are not currently receiving treatment (if they have not received a letter, advise patients to contact their care team to discuss their specific circumstances. In the meantime, patients should follow the Public Health England guidance on ‘shielding’ – in summary, stay at home and avoid face-to-face contact for a period of 12 weeks)
- Patients having any targeted treatments (more than just antibody treatments) and anti-angiogenesis targeted drugs
- Transplant patients (if they have had a transplant within the last 6 months, and if they are taking any immunosuppression)
- Patients with a rare disease and that disease significantly increases their risk of infection
Find out more: